MEDIA RELEASE July 26, 2016 For Immediate Release
Weekly Incident Summary July 18-24, 2016 HALTON HILLS, ON – Monday, July 18, 2016 08:54 Hours – Fire fighters responded to an alarm activation on Applebe Crt. On scene staff entered the home and using detectors found zero readings of CO. Fire staff determined that the smoke detectors were the devices that were falsely activating. The homeowner was advised to replace all interconnected smoke detectors due to the age of the devices. A CO detector was also provided to the homeowners to protect the sleeping area on the main floor where no CO detector was pre-existing. 21:59 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Winston Churchill Blvd. On scene staff met with the homeowner who had been burning without a valid burn permit and during a burn ban. The fire was extinguished and the homeowner was advised of the burn permit process for any future burns. Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:04 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a two-vehicle motor vehicle collision in the area of Delrex Blvd and Guelph Street. Halton Regional Police and ambulance were on scene upon arrival and were attending to an injured motorcyclist. Fire crews assisted ambulance with first aid until the patient was loaded into the ambulance and transported to Georgetown Hospital. 18:21 Hours – Fire fighters responded to the report of smoke in the area on Willow St N in Acton. Upon arrival fire staff noted light smoke showing. A homeowner was burning weeds using a torch. The homeowner was educated about the dangers of burning weeds with a torch and reminded that there is a burn ban. 19:08 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Dominion Gardens Drive. On scene fire staff found a small fire burning in a stone surround pit behind the home. The burn permit requirements were explained to the homeowner and the fire was extinguished due to the burn ban. Wednesday, July 20, 2016 17:44 Hours - Fire fighters responded to the report of a vehicle on fire on Trafalgar Road, south of 32 Sideroad. On arrival crews found a car on fire in a farmer’s field and additional adjacent fields also on fire. Acton and Georgetown firefighting equipment were called to extinguish the multiple fires. A vehicle being driven in a farmer’s field where crops had been recently cut is the cause of the fire. 20:27 Hours - Fire fighters responded to an alarm activation on Armstrong Ave. On scene staff met with building personnel who advised that both the alarm and burglar alarm was sounding in Building 3 Engineering. Crews checked the building, with
2 nothing found. The smoke alarm had activated on the main floor near the rear of the unit. Building personnel was advised to have the system checked. 21:53 Hours - Fire fighters responded to a public assist on 15 Sideroad. On scene staff met with the homeowner who directed fire staff to the rear of the property for a burn pile that was on fire. Fire staff extinguished the fire and covered the smoldering wood with dirt. The dry conditions and possible spontaneous combustion is the likely cause. Thursday, July 21, 2016 06:40 Hours - Fire fighters responded to an alarm activation on Armstrong Avenue. On scene staff met with building personnel who advised this was a false alarm. Friday, July 22, 2016 12:57 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a carbon monoxide (CO) activation on Standish St. On scene fire staff checked the home using detectors with zero readings found. The homeowner replaced the CO detector. 16:25 Hours – Fire fighters responded to an alarm activation on Sargeant Road. On scene fire staff checked the garbage room as well as other maintenance rooms on the 2nd floor and did not discover any problems. Fire staff continued to check the entire 2nd floor while another crew checked the entire main floor, going apartment to apartment. At the time it was understood there was no problems at this location. The alarm was silenced and left the alarm panel "in trouble" until building personnel arrived to reset the alarm. 22:19 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Harding Street. On scene fire staff met with the homeowner who was having a small fire in the backyard. The flames were from a propane fuelled flame table. The flames fuelled by propane with an off/on switch were very small, was not an open air fire of combustibles containing sparks or embers. The homeowner was permitted to continue with the propane fuelled flames. 22:29 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Chetholme Place. On scene staff met with the homeowner who explained that they did have a small fire earlier in the evening but was since extinguished. Fire staff reminded the homeowner that during a burn ban, open air burning is not permitted. Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:23 Hours – Fire fighters responded to an alarm activation on Craig Cres. On scene staff met with the homeowner who confirmed a false alarm. A candle blown out had set off the smoke alarm. 15:04 Hours – Fire fighters responded to the report of a structure fire on Five Sideroad. Initial crews arriving on scene were met by a wall of flames at the front of the house with fire self-venting out windows on the second floor. Nearby grass also caught fire and threatened to spread to barns containing several horses. Crews from all stations responded to fight the fire, protect nearby barns, and shuttle water to the scene. The fire was declared under control by 4:30 pm and completely extinguished shortly thereafter. The home is significantly damaged by the fire and is uninhabitable. Dollar loss is estimated at $400,000.
3 15:48 Hours – Fire fighters responded to the report of a possible grass fire on 10 Sideroad. Fire crews attended the area and confirmed that the flames they were seeing were from the structure fire on Five Sideroad. 21:03 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Sixth Line. On scene staff met with the tenant who did not have a valid burn permit and was unaware of the burn ban. Fire staff pulled apart the burning debris in the large burn pit and carefully extinguished the flames prior to leaving the address. 21:52 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Delrex Blvd. On scene staff met with the homeowner who did not have a valid burn permit and was burning during a burn ban. The fire was extinguished and the burn permit process was explained for any future burns. Sunday, July 24, 2016 17:15 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a public assist with Halton Regional Police on Kingham Road in Acton. A child was found to be repeatedly calling 911 for a report of a fire. Staff responded to confirm there were no fire concerns. Halton Regional Police discussed with the child the importance of 911 and how it is to be used and also asked the parents to follow through with further support. 21:39 Hours – Fire fighters responded to a burn complaint on Trafalgar Road. On arrival on scene, staff met the homeowners in the driveway. The homeowner stated that they had been putting their cigarette butts in the fire pit and it started the fire. The homeowner extinguished the fire with a garden hose. Fire staff informed the homeowners of the burn ban and requested them to contact the station to verify when the ban is lifted prior to burning again. Weekly Safety Message Residents of Halton Hills are reminded that due to dry conditions, an open air burning ban remains in effect. Please check our webpage for further updates http://www.haltonhills.ca/fire/index.php About the Town of Halton Hills The Town of Halton Hills, with a population of approximately 60,000, consists of two urban centres, Georgetown and Acton, the Halton Hills Premier Gateway employment area, three hamlets – Glen Williams, Stewarttown and Norval – and several smaller settlements. Halton Hills has long been recognized for its natural beauty, active agricultural community, high quality of life and proximity to major centres, including Brampton, Mississauga and Toronto. The Town is ranked as one of the top small communities in Canada by a national magazine. - 30 For further information contact: Andrea Ireland Administrative Coordinator Halton Hills Fire Department 905-873-2601 Ext. 2124 Email: [email protected]